Immigrants in Los Angeles County, like all Angelinos, are worried about the coronavirus outbreak. Moreover, some immigrants are afraid that getting tested or treated will affect their immigration status. Below are answers to common questions. You should seek available testing and treatment, regardless of your immigration status.

What should I do if I want to be tested or treated?

  • If you have insurance or Medi-Cal, call your doctor about testing and treatment. Avoid visiting your doctor until you speak with them. If you have an emergency, go to an emergency room or call 911. You can get current information here:
  • If you are uninsured, you can still get free testing and treatment regardless of immigration status. You may also qualify for My Health LA, a health care program for low-income LA County residents. Call 844-744-6452 for more information. Visit for a list of their clinics. 

Will getting tested or treated for coronavirus affect my immigration status?

  • No. Your medical information is confidential. Your doctor may not share it with immigration officials. Also, the federal government has announced they will not consider coronavirus testing or treatment in the public charge test.

Need other public benefits such as Food Stamps?

  • The Department of Public Social Services provides a number of services. Contact them here: If you don’t qualify for benefits due to your immigration status, other people in your home might. USCIS will not consider benefits received by household members in the public charge test.
  • Free food is also available at pantries throughout Los Angeles County: Many school districts also offer free meals for students. Check with your school district office.

I lost my job or my hours were cut. What can I do?

  • If you have a work permit, you may apply online for Unemployment Insurance with the California Employment Development Department (EDD):
  • While undocumented immigrants cannot recieve Unemployment Insurance, they may be eligible for Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave. File with EDD:
  • The LA County Business & Worker Disaster Help Center provides tools and direct support to access emergency resources. Call 800-593-8222, email your question to, or visit

Is it true that there is a cure for coronavirus?

There is currently no cure or vaccine for coronavirus. Many scammers are taking advantage of the pandemic to prey on consumers. Report suspected scams to the Department of Consumer and Business Affairs (DCBA): 800-593-8222,

Sellers are charging high prices for things like hand sanitizer and medical supplies. Is this legal?

It is illegal for sellers to raise prices for basic necessities by more than 10% after authorities declare an emergency. All consumers, including undocumented immigrants, are protected against price gouging. Report violations to

DCBA: 800-593-8222,

My landlord is trying to evict me because I can’t pay the rent. What should I do?

Los Angeles County passed a temporary ban on all residential and commercial evictions, effective March 4 to May 31, 2020, for the unincorporated areas of the County. The City of Los Angeles and other cities have passed similar measures. These protections apply to all tenants, regardless of their immigration status. Contact DCBA for help: (800) 593-8222,